The whole world has been experiencing a terrible nightmare for more than a year and a half due to the Corona pandemic.
Everyone, however, breathed a sigh of relief when the Sinopharm vaccine came out.
Even though the vaccine presented a beacon of hope, but some people were still skeptical about it.
Read along so you can learn more about the Sinopharm vaccine.
What is Coronavirus?
It is a member of the family of coronaviruses, which cause inflammation in the nose, throat, and sinuses.
Most are not dangerous, but in 2019, SARS-CoV-2 caused a pandemic of a respiratory disease called COVID-19.
Covid-19 started in Wuhan, China, in late 2019, then it quickly spread in early 2020 to all countries in the world.
The world health organization declared that it is; a new type of coronaviruses that affects the upper and lower respiratory tract.
It spreads like all the other Coranviruses by direct contact and, the infection varies from mild to deadly.
Symptoms of Coronavirus
Coronavirus causes a variety of symptoms, for example;
- Difficulty breathing.
- Weakness and fatigue.
- Sore throat.
- Loss of smell and taste.
The symptoms may worsen, however, and lead to a series of complications like;
- Acute pneumonia.
- Respiratory failure.
- Heart and kidney problems.
- Septic shock (damage and halting of all vital organs).
Is the Chinese vaccine Sinopharm safe and effective?
Data on vaccine quality, safety, and efficacy have been carefully evaluated by; several countries.
The results showed that the efficacy of Sinopharm after two doses given 3 to 4 weeks apart was up to 79% against infections with severe symptoms.
According to the provisional results of its phase III trials, the United Arab Emirates also stated that the vaccine is 86% effective.
Hence, this indicates the possibility of infection after receiving the vaccine, but without symptoms that require hospitalization and intensive care.
Trials also showed that the vaccine is safe and secure in people 18 years of age and older.
Moreover, the Sinopharm vaccine is considered safe for the elderly.
However, the World Health Organization recommends follow-up on people over 60 after receiving the vaccine.
Sinopharm vaccine versus Pfizer vaccine
The Sinopharm vaccine was manufactured by; a Chinese pharmaceutical company located in Beijing.
The Chinese vaccine is considered a traditional vaccine.
It consists of inactivated parts of the Coronavirus, with an adjuvant found in many other vaccines such as; rabies and polio.
Its action depends on prompting the immune system to produce antibodies to the entire Coronavirus without causing an infection.
On the other hand, the Pfizer vaccine action depends on generating antibodies against the Coronavirus genetic material (mRNA).
The Sinopharm vaccine is the best choice for developing countries.
It can be stored at a temperature ranging from 2 to 8 degrees Celsius
Moreover, there is a sticker on the packaging that changes color if it becomes unusable.
While, the Pfizer vaccine needs a temperature of 70 degrees below zero to remain stable, which is hard to provide in all places.
Who should take the vaccine?
Priority should be given to medical staff members exposed to infection during their work and the elderly, especially those with chronic diseases.
Also, people with HIV since they’re more prone to infections.
People previously infected with Coronavirus can also take the vaccine but after six months of recovery.
Sinopharm vaccine for pregnant and lactating women
There is insufficient data on the Sinopharm vaccine safety for pregnant and lactating women.
The WHO, however, recommends its use for pregnant women at high risk of infection.
The vaccine is inactivated and contains adjuvants used in several other vaccines, hence considered safe for pregnant women.
When not to take the Sinopharm vaccine?
The following categories should not take the vaccine:
- Children younger than 18 years old.
- People with allergies from any of the vaccine’s ingredients.
- People with temperatures higher than 38.5 degrees Celcius.
What is the recommended dose?
The World Health Organization recommends using the Sinopharm vaccine in two doses, 3 to 4 weeks apart.
The dose consists of 0.5 ml injected into a muscle.
If a person takes the two doses less than three weeks apart, he shouldn’t take any additional doses.
Also, if the second dose is more than four weeks late, it should be taken as soon as possible.
Which countries use the Sinopharm vaccine?
Countries that agreed to use the Sinopharm vaccine include;
- The United Arab Emirates.
- The Philippines.
Sinopharm vaccine side effects
According to the World Health Organization reports, the side effects of the vaccine include the following:
- Fever that varies from mild to severe.
- Swelling and edema at the site of injection.
Can I get infected after I take the vaccine?
Yes, there is a possibility of infection with the Coronavirus after vaccination due to many reasons, including the following:
- Not all vaccines have 100% efficacy.
- The vaccine may be less effective against the new strains of the mutated Coronavirus.
- The immune system may need some weeks to give a fully protective immune response.
Fortunately, those who received the vaccine do not experience severe symptoms when they contract the Coronavirus after vaccination.
Therefore, the World Health Organization recommends the following precautionary measures after using the vaccine, including:
- The social distancing of 2 meters.
- The use of masks.
- Frequent hand washing.
- Adhering to the rules of respiratory and cough hygiene.
- Ensuring good ventilation.
How to register with the Ministry of Health to take the Sinopharm vaccine?
The Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population has clarified the availability of the vaccine.
You can obtain the vaccine by following the subsequent steps:
- Click on the link provided by the Ministry of Health and Population for registration.
- Determine your category, as the ministry has identified three categories (health workers, chronic disease owners, and other categories).
- Register your data like; name, age, medical history, residential area, and mobile phone number.
- Receive a verification code in a phone message and enter it in the specified field.
- Complete the registration steps by uploading a copy of the national ID.
- Receive a text message containing your application number to receive the vaccine.
The ministry also provided home vaccination services for people with the following diseases:
- Poliomyelitis, paraplegia, parkinsonism, or quadriplegia.
- Immobilizing, arthropathies.
- Immobilizing, neurological disorders.
- Muscular and spinal cord atrophy and multiple sclerosis.
In conclusion, dear reader, be sure to take the coronavirus vaccine as soon as possible.
Also, rest assured that millions of people worldwide have received the Sinopharm vaccine, which has caused only minor side effects.